11 December 2005
national geographic


Yesterday I re-filled the apple tree out front with hanging treats for our feathered friends and we all enjoyed the antics of the chickadees, larks, magpies, and other unnamed species who came to visit. This morning after breakfast the tree was once again filled with happy little birds. And then, out of nowhere, a small falcon appeared, stunned a lark, and in our very own garden made an end of the bird and carried it off. It happened very quickly, but my camera was right there so I tried to snap a couple of pictures. The birds were thrashing around, so the pictures aren't very clear - my apologies. Have you ever heard of anything like this happening? Our tree has been empty since the attack. I hope the (non predatory) birds will come back soon.
 
posted by mainely stitching at 12:34 PM ¤ Permalink ¤ |


1 Comments:


  • At Sunday, 11 December, 2005, Blogger Von

    What excitement can happen even in our very own yards! I'm sure the birds will be back. Were your children around to watch and, if so, were they upset by the scene? We live by a railroad track with empty land for fifty feet either side of it and so have quail and various creatures that our cat sometimes brings home. There have been a few times when I've seen suspicious-looking characters skulking around our fence on the railroad side - I call the sheriff! :)