06 September 2005
aren't they yummy?
My envelope from Silkweaver arrived today: three one-of-a-kind Solos, all 13x18" linens and three 9x12" assorted linens plus a couple of the Stranded by the Sea limited editions and GAST limited editions and a little packet of Mill Hill beads. Oh boy, I have got so many ideas! I really want to use the beads on the next dragon I do for Max, my oldest son. The gorgeous raspberry linen is intended for Rowen, our daughter who demands strong colors to match her strong personality! The two greeny stuff is for me ... green's my fave. The grays were on sale at a price I could not ignore and I like gray anyway. I'm so excited. I wish I could stitch faster! There are so very many things I want to do and learn! I recently joined a Smalls group and have been introduced to some incredibly talented people who've really got me inspired to branch out.

In addition to Smalls, the hot topic lately seems to be accessories. What can you absolutely not do without? Me, I'm really hung up on my teeny little #28 petite needles. I can stitch with something else, but I feel very clumsy when I do. On the other hand, I have a nasty habit of snapping the little things in half. I also love my new Q-Snap. I don't know how I survived so long without it! As for scissors, I have to admit that I own only one pair. Can you believe it? But what a pair! I blush to admit I bought them 15 years ago. (How can it have been so long ago?) I was living in Germany and bought the best pair possible. In all that time, I've only sharpened them once, and really they didn't need it. In addition to being an excellent tool, they have a lot of memories tied up in that ice-tempered steel!

But what about you? I'm really curious. There are dedicated hands-free stitchers. Others who swear by their lamps and lighting. Laying tools? I've never even seen one in real life. Those cool little clover-cutters? I've been tempted but never indulged.

Now, time to get back to stitching while the DH is out playing chess. He won 100% of his club's external games this season! Hip-hip-hooray!
 
posted by mainely stitching at 8:48 PM ¤ Permalink ¤ |


4 Comments:


  • At Wednesday, 07 September, 2005, Blogger Lelia

    Barbara -- another good SBQ candidate for question of the week!

    Laying tools are nice for satin stitches. I have a wooden one and a metal one -- I've used them several times. In a pinch, I use a yarn needle (I swear)

    My favorite stitching tool/gadget is a Star De-Tailor. It looks like a very long needle threader. At times, I tend to end a thread & dislodge a previous thread -- this tool puts those short threads back into place very easily.

    I have Dovo scissors; however, my favorite pair was Made in Spain called Tres Claveles (unsure of spelling)

     
  • At Wednesday, 07 September, 2005, Blogger mainely stitching

    Hi Lelia. So you regularly use a laying tool, or only for special instances? I've never seen a De-Tailor, but I've had those irritating short threads. I use a bigger needle to shove them back down.

     
  • At Friday, 09 September, 2005, Blogger Sarah E.

    Hi Barbara! You have a wonderful site; I just found it and am really enjoying your commentary. How lucky you are to have such a wonderful aunt!

    As far as favorite tools, mine would be my pair of stork scissors that were my grandmother's. They were made in the early 1920s. I, too, have had them sharpened once, not that they really needed it!

    I've bookmarked you. Thanks!!

    Sarah E. in Texas

     
  • At Friday, 09 September, 2005, Blogger mainely stitching

    Hi Sarah - thanks for visiting! Scissors from your grandma? I wish I had something tangible from mine. I can certainly understand why they'd be your favorite.

    My Aunt Hattie is terrific, and I sure am lucky to have her!