01 December 2005
time to try again!
I'm a frustrated knitter-wannabe and have been for years. Anyone who's known me for awhile knows that I suffer from a serious sweater addiction. And scarves and socks! And mittens - but they don't come in my size! Over the years, various valiant people have tried to teach me to knit. Apparently any creature with opposable thumbs can be taught to knit, but I am the exception. (I am frequently the exception, I have noticed over the years. I have spent a lot of mental energy puzzling about this, but that's for another entry.)

My mom tried to teach me when I was pretty young, so it wasn't that big of a deal that I failed to grasp the concept. My home ec teacher tried - briefly - but I didn't want to take home ec anyway so I blamed my inner rebel on that failure. A well-meaning lady tried to show me when I was a senior in high school and I did really try that time, but to no avail. In college, Sara tried to show me and I really did exert myself trying that time. I succeeded - in tying my fingers to the knitting needles with the yarn. No one believes that, but it's true. I've gone around asking people in the years since, but they quickly change the subject. My disgrace precedes me. Last year I bought Knitting for Dummies, but it has taken me another full year before I worked up the courage to buy actual knitting supplies. Today a 20% off coupon wandered into my hands and I figured it was a Sign that I try again. LOL. We'll see just how idiot-proof this book is. They never reckoned on me!
 
posted by mainely stitching at 11:33 AM ¤ Permalink ¤ |


2 Comments:


  • At Thursday, 01 December, 2005, Blogger Von

    Ahh, you're a little older and wiser now my dear! Be patient with yourself, make mistakes and learn from them, enjoy the process! You'll get the hang of it :)
    All this from a non-knitter, lol!

     
  • At Friday, 02 December, 2005, Blogger Cindy

    I had some pretty bad knitting experiences when I first tried it...I did an entire sweater that I thought would fit me, and wound up with something that might fit a child!

    I tried it again about a year ago...loved the eyelash yarn, and wanted a scarf! I have done a few now, and they didn't turn out too bad. Granted, nothing more than knit stitches back and forth...but if I can do it, anyone can!!