08 January 2006
returning to normal
The holidays are past and tomorrow marks our return to normal. Actually, I don't think there is such a thing as normal for a family of five, but we will return to our regular routines and schedules. Not a moment too soon, either. The holidays are wonderful, but exhausting!

We managed to bring a bit of order into our chaotic lives and household during the holiday season. Niek's gift of a stash-storage bureau has been appreciated each & every day (several times a day!). Though running up & down the stairs a dozen times is exercise, I much prefer having all my fibers, notions, and patterns right at hand.

We also rearranged the nursery. Nicky, now nearly three, couldn't be kept out of a regular bed any longer. I'd had visions of him toppling down the stairs, wandering around while we slept, and getting up to mischief, but he has been wonderful so far. He loves his big bed, and his little sister is very jealous of it. They sleep in the same room, so it was necessary to move things around a lot to accomodate the bed. I managed to convince Niek that a bookcase was necessary, so we braved Ikea (twice!) to find the right one. Their room is very inviting and cheery, don't you agree?




They love all the little animals that pattern the wallpaper, and I love the framed bird art, and everyone agrees the big sheep rug is great (forgive me for not vacuuming before I took the picture!).

Today I took down the Christmas cards, which was kind of sad. I've really enjoyed looking at them and thinking of the friends & family who are far & near who sent them. Here's a picture of how they looked. Tonight, we plan to take down the tree. It'll be nice to have the living room back again.

Tonight I also hope to complete the stitching on Rowen's pear doll so I can begin the Miss Mary Mack SAL tomorrow. I probably won't do much on that because I have work and fitness tomorrow, but I will at least get the first few stitches in.

I hope you all have a great Monday!
 
posted by mainely stitching at 7:32 PM ¤ Permalink ¤ |


3 Comments:


  • At Sunday, 08 January, 2006, Blogger Anne S

    The kids' room looks gorgeous - and that sheep rug is just too cute! I felt the same sad feeling putting all the Christmas decorations and cards away this year - shame we can't enjoy them year-round ;)

     
  • At Sunday, 08 January, 2006, Blogger Kiwi Jo

    I love the kids room, especially the sheep rug - I want one for myself lol!

     
  • At Monday, 09 January, 2006, Blogger Von

    Barbara, your kids' room is very sweet, bright and cheery!! Usually I feel as you do about pulling down the Christmas decorations, so I go about it rather slowly. Yesterday my cards came down and the rest of the Christmas nic-nacs in the main living area (except three of my house collection). We still have a few things out in the basement family room, but will probably work on that this week.