03 January 2006
stitching bloops & blunders

I wanted to start my charity piece for this quarter, and when I saw a quilt request with a sea theme on Quilts4Kids, I got pretty excited because I have this excellent sea turtle freebie from Blue Turtle Designs. I sent an email to Linde, the coordinator, but I was so eager to stitch the design that I started before I received her reply. I have a stack of ivory aida squares that I use for charity pieces, so I grabbed one and started choosing the floss colors. I thought the blend of DMC colors 904 and 470 was perfect for the turtle's flippers and head, and I decided to go with a selection of neutral colors from Stranded by the Sea for his shell (the very light one is another DMC blend: 3023 and 3047). I was nearly finished with the green when I received Linde's reply - the pattern is great, but they only accept white backgrounds! Oh no!! Fortunately, Love Quilts also has requests for a couple of sea-themed quilts, so this little turtle will find a happy home. (Sorry for the dark photo - it's late and our camera still acts kind of weird. Oh, the border is not part of the freebie, but something I added to fill the square out better.)

Today's lesson: Read all the guidelines - assume nothing!
 
posted by mainely stitching at 10:54 AM ¤ Permalink ¤ |


4 Comments:


  • At Wednesday, 04 January, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous

    He's so cute, Barbara! You can always find someone who will take a quilt square; it's just a shame that they only use white.

     
  • At Wednesday, 04 January, 2006, Blogger Von

    Hi Barbara! So glad your stitching will be useful in another quilt - good save, lol! The colors you chose are outstanding!!

     
  • At Sunday, 08 January, 2006, Blogger Anne S

    Ooh, ooh, now THAT one I had to rush over and grab off the site - LOVE that little turtle! Glad to hear the square you stitched will still be able to be sent to another charity - how disappointing for you, though! At least it looks like a quick stitch to do again if need be :)

     
  • At Sunday, 08 January, 2006, Blogger Anne S

    I just took some time out to have a look at the charity quilt sites, and starting to get inspired to do some myself - I hadn't realised there was one here in Aussie ... when I'm on late shifts there is a chance that the phones are quiet, and I manage to get some stitching time in - not a great deal, but still enough to work on a small project such as a quilt square ... thanks for posting the links again for these sites :)