02 March 2006
I may never get to Nashville
... but I sure enjoyed Zwolle!

I was indulged by my wonderful husband this past Sunday when he sort of 'insisted' that we make the trek to Zwolle (nearly 1 1/2 hours in both directions) so I could go to the handwerkbeurs (a sort of crafter's fair with supplies, books, contacts and more) for a couple of hours. Our very family-friendly Peugot pulled up at the front door at 1:00 and we agreed I'd be outside waiting to be picked up at 3:00 sharp. I sprinted to the ticket line, paid and received my map of the exhibits, and took off for Annemiek's area first. (Between you and me, I can't seem to accurately read a map for love nor money. I wound up someplace that was definately not Annemiek's shop, but managed to quickly re-orient myself and get over to her booth.) She knew who I was as soon as I introduced myself and was such an easy-going person that I managed to avoid my usual first-meeting awkwardness. I got to see a lot of designs in person for the first time, and was sort of surprised by the diffference it makes to really see a chart IRL. Some designs that I was pretty sure I would want did not impress me at all, while two others that I've passed by several times really 'grabbed me' when I saw them. I walked away with 5 new charts and a lovely piece of antique grain Belfast linen. Nearby, I spotted a basket of Weeks Dye Works fibers going for 1.85 euro/skein and painstakingly narrowed my selection to six. Then a quick jog back to a shop offering quarter meter cuts of cotton quilting fabric at 4 for 25 euro. I got three for my quilt project and one with these cute little sheep that I just couldn't pass by. I asked the time and had only 15 minutes left! I felt like I was in one of those game shows where you only have 30 seconds to fill your shopping cart or something silly. I needed to find "blue string" for Max. He couldn't define what he wanted the string for, or what kind of string it should be, so this was not a simple task. I finally found him a length of blue leather for jewelry making that he was thrilled with. And just before the exit, I nearly ran into a shop that was selling copies (which I assume were authorized!) of Jan Hoffman designs. I have wanted De Anjelier (The Carnation) for awhile, and was very happy to snap up their last one. And a couple of his designs as note cards. I darted out the door with 8 euro remaining of my spending money, and about 3 minutes left on the clock. Hooray!

This was my first beurs, but you can bet it won't be my last! I hope to be better prepared for the next one, and to be able to spend a whole day with fellow cross stitch enthusiasists!

On the stitching front, I've mentioned that I've done pathetically little since the burglary. However, I did manage to finish up the first part of the mystery Quaker sampler and Mother Nature complied by giving me a bit of natural sunlight to snap a picture. I've used Vikki Clayton's French Artichoke silk on 32 ct Porcelain from Silkweaver. The colors are quite subtle, but it's really lovely IRL. This weekend is chockablock full of social outings, so I don't think I will be able to start part two until next week. I've looked at the chart, though, and I just can't wait to get going with it. What a great project this is! It's my first 'mystery' as well as my first large(ish) design for myself.

The snowy weather is continuing today. I tried to take a picture of the boys in front of the igloo they built yesterday, but our camera was re-experiencing the color problems it had last summer. Maybe I'll have better luck next time.

Wishing you all a wonderful day!
 
posted by mainely stitching at 11:18 AM ¤ Permalink ¤ |


3 Comments:


  • At Thursday, 02 March, 2006, Blogger Anne S

    Your day at Zwolle sounds wonderful ... if a bit rushed haha. I'm amazed you managed to get everything done in 2 hours! Your mystery sampler looks absolutely gorgeous in that thread - love it! :D

     
  • At Thursday, 02 March, 2006, Blogger Jenny

    Sounds like you had a lot of fun shopping. :) Your mystery looks great! I haven't seen that one being worked on before. :)

     
  • At Thursday, 02 March, 2006, Blogger Von

    Barbara, what a mad dash to see everything you wanted!! Only TWO hours, lol! Sounds like you did really well. Antique grain Belfast linen sounds just gorgeous! Hope your next trip to beurs is much more leisurely, and your budget is correspondingly larger! :D