12 October 2006
a day of SALing and sunning
Yesterday was fun!!

Knowing that I'd meet Ash at the apple orchard in the afternoon and not being sure how late I would return home, I started the day with the Red Desert Scissors Pocket SAL. I love the colors in this project, but I went with a different linen choice. Quite some time ago, Anne sent me a gorgeous piece of coffee bean linen that I've been selfishly saving for a project that I'd keep. I adore deep, rich browns. I was so happy to finally have the right project for this fabric! Here are my supplies before I started stitching.



Stunning, don't you think?

To show the beautiful silks off to their best advantage on the dark linen, I reversed the color scheme, using the lighter color for the design and the darker color for the eyelets. This is as far as I got yesterday. (I didn't have much stitching time.) I'm pleased with how it's coming out!



After picking Max up from school, the kids enjoyed a picnic in the car (LOL) as we drove to the orchard. It was, as always, great to see Ash. And our kids play very well together, which is another big bonus! It was a gorgeous, sunny, warm Indian summer sort of day - perfect for apple picking and fun. Here's a picture of the kids in the orchard. It was a challenge to get them to pose!



As I type this, Rowen is eating one of the apples we picked yesterday and Gilbert, who loves apples and is flying free, is trying to steal it from her. I've tried to take several pictures, but Gil is too fast for me. She's scolding him very strenuously and the whole thing is absolutely hilarious.

Outside, the leaves have begun to fall in earnest. When Nicky stepped out the door, he was overjoyed - "Look, Mama, it's autumn!" he yelled. You'd have thought it was the first snowfall of the season, he was so excited. It was great. It will make the actual leaf cleanup much less of a chore.

And speaking of chores, I was busy earlier this week mucking out our so-called library - which had become nothing more than a depository for all the junk that drifted in - and yesterday morning the kids and I enjoyed using the now-tidy room. While the kids played in there, I did my little bit of stitching on the scissor pocket. It was very cozy and I think we'll really enjoy the room during the upcoming winter months.

Thank you all very much for your kind comments regarding Aniza's needleworker's pocket. It was a lot of fun to do, and I love Ellen's design. I'm a total pushover for any designs with birds, and lately I've really enjoyed doing the monochromatic designs.

I'll leave you all with this priceless picture of Rowen talking to her grammie on the phone. Can you tell that she's going to need a phone of her own once puberty hits? LOL!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
 
posted by mainely stitching at 10:07 AM ¤ Permalink ¤ |


3 Comments:


  • At Thursday, 12 October, 2006, Blogger Myrna

    How clever to switch the colors! I never would have thought of that! Your pocket will be beautiful!!

    Have a great day...

     
  • At Friday, 13 October, 2006, Blogger Von

    The color switch and your fabric are positively divine, Barbara!! I'm so delighted that this is one project you're doing for yourself. You are such a giving person, it's good for you to fill yourself up so you can give some more. :)

     
  • At Wednesday, 18 October, 2006, Blogger Anne S

    Yay, I can finally post on this one (Blogger kept crashing my system the other day, so I gave up ...) - Just wanted to say how gorgeous this piece looks on the dark fabric - absolutely scrummy :) Glad you're managing to stitch something for "you" for a change :D