17 January 2006
gray skies are gonna clear up
Ugh. Don't let me get started on the weather. Really, I have no right to complain because it was sunny this weekend. So if I have the feeling that I'm molding or that those are webs between my toes ... well, I'm just being overly sensitive.

The kids had a fun afternoon together, once they decided to call a three-way truce, and decided to get dressed up for a train ride through the countryside. I'm not sure where they were going, but the journey was obviously more fun than the destination anyway!



The little charmers also allowed me more stitching time than usual today, which I really needed. I'm not very proficient once I venture beyond the basic cross stitch ... but I'm always up for learning something new. I've tried satin stitches, but despaired of ever getting them to look right. So perhaps "Come Fly Away" was not the most inpired choice of designs - it has a lot of satin stitching! I had to rip out my first attempts, but I think what I have here isn't too bad. This is my I-give-up-for-tonight stopping point, so the tree looks pretty weird with only half its branches. That funny looking green bird is actually a pretty reasonable likeness of our Gilbert, a collared parakeet.

 
posted by mainely stitching at 11:11 PM ¤ Permalink ¤ |


3 Comments:


  • At Wednesday, 18 January, 2006, Blogger Von

    Hi Barbara!
    I think you are your own worst critic here! Your satin stitches look good to me! Have you tried a laying tool? Sometimes I just use my needle or finger to help place the thread.
    A train ride through the countryside on a rainy day looks like uproariously good fun!!

     
  • At Wednesday, 18 January, 2006, Blogger Kitty Couture

    Oh Barbara! Your kids are just so adorable! It makes me happy just to look at them :D

    You really are too hard on yourself... Your stitching looks great! Honestly.

    (we've been having som very dreary weather in Paris too... Where did the sun go?)

     
  • At Wednesday, 18 January, 2006, Blogger Anna van Schurman

    My satin stitches always look better on the back than on the front! You'd think I'd figure out a way to manipulate that, but I'm hopeless. I think yours look good.

    Our rains have been accompanied by monstrous winds. If the weather's going to be crap, couldn't it snow so they'd let us stay home?