23 April 2006
proudly following in daddy's footsteps
When I was a kid, my dad could magically pull out any loose tooth without it hurting a bit. It was amazing, and a great source of comfort to a kid who was pretty squeamish about mouth-things (I still don't know how dentists do it - shudder!). Daddy would ask if he should look at my latest loose tooth, and I'd nervously agree. He'd wiggle it, ask me some question, and before I'd come up with an answer, there would be my tiny, white tooth laying in his palm. It was just the most remarkable thing - it's hard to put into words the absolute faith I had in him, that he'd somehow get me out of this without it hurting.


Well, Max has had a loose tooth for weeks that showed no signs of coming out on its own. So at bedtime, I asked him if he would like me to look at it for him. Max is a child who actively avoids pain and gets kind of woozy at the sight of blood, so he was pretty nervous when he said I could look. I gave it a wiggle, and it was all ready to come out ... but I've never pulled a tooth. I asked him if he would like me to try, and (after grabbing a special stuffed animal for support) he agreed. And pop out it came before he knew it. I can't claim I did it as magically as my dad (and it did bleed, but Max was okay with it), but maybe by the time Rowen's ready for a visit from the tooth fairy, I'll be able to make the visit a painless one.

Daddy, if you're out there reading this - I'll never forget your gentleness & kindness!
 
posted by mainely stitching at 8:46 PM ¤ Permalink ¤ |


2 Comments:


  • At Sunday, 23 April, 2006, Blogger Rachael

    Oh you magic tooth puller. Isn't it a wonderful feeling to follow in your Dad's magical footsteps. Congrats to Max for being brave and letting you pull his tooth.

     
  • At Sunday, 30 April, 2006, Blogger mainely stitching

    It's a small world, Lucille. I hope you enjoyed a great meal with Daddy - it's something I really look forward to doing when we're home this summer!