05 April 2006
who said bird-brain?
By now, probably everyone has seen the amazing parakeet who can cross stitch. Bert even left the link in a comment here, some time ago. If you haven't seen it, go have a look!

Well, I had to admit to Bert and to a few others that Gilbert, our ring-necked parakeet, has never shown the slightest inclination to share my hobby with me. That's not to say he isn't good company when Niek's out and I'm stitching in the living room. He dive bombs me from time to time to check on my progress and squawks loudly when I watch TV for too long.

We've recently discovered that Gilbert's talents lie elsewhere. Apparently the fact that no one in our family goes too long without a book in his (or her) hand has not escaped Gilbert's notice. But you better watch out if you try to pick up a book that he's not finished with yet!!



And, as I mentioned, Gilbert monitors my TV watching. Fortunately, we like most of the same programs! Niek, however, has absolutely terrible taste in TV, as do so many men (Sorry, gentlemen! No offense meant!), and occassionally, Gil has to take things into his own hands ... er, beak.



On the stitching front, I elected to make a very time-consuming dinner and bake a cake instead of stitching, so I will have to make my evening hours really count as I continue with Max's March Hare. I may have been a bit over-ambitious, planning tote bags for all three kids, but I can always switch to smaller designs for Nicky & Rowen. Though I have my heart set on doing Mrs. McGregor's Garden by The Sampler Girl. If only I could give up sleep!

For reading, I just finished Shadow of the Giant, by Orson Scott Card. These books are just amazing. He's an amazing author. Even if sci-fi is not your thing, his writing transcends the genre. I raced through this one - couldn't help myself! I'm also still reading Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, by Susanna Clarke. It's a slower-paced book, but I'm really enjoying it.

And for those who've asked about Annemarie, she was doing great the last time I spoke to her. She's stitching up a storm, and has several wonderful projects going at once. She'll have a lot of "Show & Tell" to entertain us with once she's able to purchase her new computer! I'll pass along greetings to her when I call her again.
 
posted by mainely stitching at 8:53 PM ¤ Permalink ¤ |


4 Comments:


  • At Thursday, 06 April, 2006, Blogger Kerry

    I'm doing the same thing - reading Jonathan Strange and Mr Norell very slowly. I find I need to take a break with a quick and easy book every 200 pages or so, jsut to keep myself going. I'm down to the last 200 now though. I'm supposed to be discussing it with an online book group starting April 17, so I should make it in time.

    I only ever managed the first two Ender books by Card, and I was certainly blown away by those.

    I love the photos of your parakeet.

     
  • At Saturday, 08 April, 2006, Blogger Anne S

    Awwwww, Gil is just to die for! He's beautiful :D Your hare project if coming along great too - look forward to seeing the final version ... Max is going to love it :D

     
  • At Saturday, 08 April, 2006, Blogger Rachael

    HI - I am ging to check out the books you mentioned. I am not a huge sci fi fan but if a book is good, then it's good. I have been thinking about Anne-marie and was going to post on our Blog today to ask if anyone had heard from her. I tried calling once ,but only got the answer machine. I am glad she is well and please do pass on a "hello " from me. Love your pics of Gil-Looks like I could use him around here. Anyone who can Find the clicker is tops in my book:-)

     
  • At Monday, 10 April, 2006, Blogger Sharon

    I too have read 'Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell' - it took me ages to read it but when I had finished it I felt like a part of my life was missing... It is a book that grows on you. Such a change from the usual...