17 March 2006
a SEX-y weekend
My order from Stitching Bits and Bobs finally arrived! My heavens, this was the longest wait yet - it was a pre-order for the Nashville market. But the problem was that this chart (A Canadian Journey) didn't arrive from Italy in a timely fashion. I was considering driving over to pick it up in person! LOL



Also in the order was my booklet for A Most Noble Pursuit. As much as I've looked forward to getting this, I've also been a little nervous - what if it didn't live up to my (very high) expectations? Phew! I like it even better IRL! The pictures I've seen at various ONSs just don't do it justice.

There were also three letters from the Carriage House Samplings alphabet series that had gone walkabout on me and 4 more skeins of WDW bittersweet. If you can believe it, these 4 skeins are radically different than the 2 skeins I had on hand (which were also radically different from each other). I think I will have to do some pre-cutting, mixing, and matching to get an even overall look. Like Patti, I'll do all the letters with bittersweet used for the bottom block. I am still debating: over-one, or over-two? I love the look of over-one, but I don't want to limit myself to only being able to work on it on sunny days (like my languishing CHS Primitive Stocking and La-D-Da's Miss Mary Mack).

In the same SB&B order (yes, I blew the budget on this one) were the first three from The Sampler Girl's Jane Austen Collection: Northanger Abbey, Pride and Prejudice, and Mansfield Park. (I had already received Sense and Sensibility directly from Tanya.) Annemarie and I are going to do these four together, though very informally rather than in a sort of a SAL. Looking at them (again and again - these are really very appealing designs), I finally decided that Mansfield Park is my favorite. I think it's the ship and the reference to Portsmouth. Yes, I've lived here nearly 9 years, but at heart I'm an East coast girl. A Downeaster, to be specific.

My only peeve about the SB&B order is that the chart pack for A Canadian Journey does not include any finishing instructions at all; you have to purchase one of the Judy O'Dell books for another $20 (plus shipping, of course!). The chart already cost $20, so I have to admit, I was expecting finishing directions! I really, really have a bone to pick with designers who portray a finished project but do not include the instructions for the finishing. Ash brought this up several months ago, and I know a lot of other people have encountered this frustrating experience.

Tomorrow I'm off to Roermond to meet up with Annemarie. Not only will I get to take her neighborhood RR home with me, but we will also go to the Naald & Draad, which is a great source for Jan Hoffman designs. His designs, such as The Garden Sampler, shown here, are breath-taking.

Image hosting by Photobucket

For me, tomorrow will be a like a mini-vacation. A whole day spent in the company of a friend who also loves stitching ... and without my kids! Niek is playing Mr Mom tomorrow and I will luxuriate in a whole day of not needing to take care of anyone. Wow!! I hope you'll also enjoy a wonderful weekend.
 
posted by mainely stitching at 7:11 PM ¤ Permalink ¤ |


4 Comments:


  • At Friday, 17 March, 2006, Blogger Nicki

    I agree with you on the finishing book thing. Very frustrating. That stitchers book is lovely though - so much nicer in your photos than the little ones I've seen before. I want to do one of these (the Dames of the Needle one), so I'm going to get the finishing book sometime. I could send it on to you when you need it if you like?

    And naughty you on the enabling front! Jane Austen is possibly my favourite ever author - how can I not put those samplers on my wishlist!!!

     
  • At Saturday, 18 March, 2006, Blogger Cindy

    Wow! You had quite a nice stash haul! I'm still waiting for my SB&B order.

    I agree with you on the finishing instructions. I ordered the Attic Collection, and I am going to do it in the blue theme. I have delusions that I might also want to do the Elizabeth Talledo version, so I wound up ordering the instructions.

     
  • At Saturday, 18 March, 2006, Blogger lobea2004

    What a beautiful stash!! Many of those patterns are in my wish list. Happy happy stitching!

     
  • At Monday, 20 March, 2006, Blogger Anne S

    Yup, I have to jump on the bandwagon and moan about that design issue - I had the same problem with the Just Nan "And Many More" needlecase kit ... not an instruction anywhere - and you couldn't buy just the instructions, but had to buy the whole finishing kit, and I had no desire to line my needlecase with pink felt flowers and fabric (I'm not a huge pink fan), so it would be a waste of money. Luckily some kind soul took pity on me, and helped me out with the instructions :) Your latest SB&B order looks great ... I was tempted last week during their sale, and built up my wishlist, then walked away phew! LOL. Look forward to seeing your needlebook stitched up - I'm thinking of splurging on the Chatelaine version, and getting the finishing book as well ... looks like those designs have been a great hit with the buying public! :D